Hi everyone! Happy Wednesday, today I was going to do a Valentine’s day post, but I think I am going to save that for a little later on this week. Instead, for this week’s Heart to Heart, I want to share a recipe. It is a recipe for white bean chicken chili, and it is one of our absolute favorite meals! It literally warms the heart and soul. We’re not really left over people (I do sometimes bring leftovers to work for lunch), but when we make this, we make sure to make extra so that we can have leftovers for a few days! So here is the recipe! You can even print it out by clicking print in the upper right hand corner of the digital recipe card.
P.S. This is the recipe that totally redeemed me. When Greg and I first met, I was absolutely terrible at cooking. Just ask him about my balsamic stir fry… it was not good! This was the first actual recipe I followed, and I am a good chef when it comes to following a recipe- I think it’s because I am good at following directions lol! I Hope you enjoy this one as much as we do, and if you have an amazing recipe you want to share, please leave it in the comments! I am always on the hunt for a great recipe to follow!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 32 ounces (4 cups) low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cloves (you can also use minced garlic from a jar) garlic
- 1 large onion sweet yellow onion
- 7 to 8 ounces (don’t drain) canned green chilis
- 4 cups (1-2 lbs pre-cooked/shredded) shredded cooked chicken
- two 15 ounce cans cannellini beans
- 1 tablespoon or to taste lime juice
- 1 tablespoon or to taste cumin
- 1 teaspoon or to taste dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon or to taste salt
- 1/2 teaspoon or to taste red chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon or to taste cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup finely minced fresh cilantro
- for garnishing tortilla strips
- for garnishing cheese
4. While onion and green chilies cook, take 1 cup of the cannellini beans to add to food processor (if you don’t have a food processor you can use a potato masher). Add a splash of chicken broth or water and blend until smooth. Mixture should be thick.
5. Add your garlic to the onion and green chilies and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir as needed.6. Add your chicken broth, chicken, cannellini beans (whole beans and blended beans), lime juice, cumin, oregano, salt, red chili flakes, cayenne pepper, and bring to a boil. Allow mixture to boil gently for 7 to 10 minutes.7. Add your cilantro and boil for 1 minute.8. Taste chili, and add anything that you think you may need more of9. Ladle chili into bowls, add your cheese and tortilla strips, relax, and enjoy with someone you love!
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 6 servings